Saturday, November 3, 2012

Experience sharing: Job Interview :)


Just out of nowhere, when I played the guitar, this idea popped out. Suddenly remember those times sitting in the interview scenes. I just wanna share my previous experiences (biasanya yang interview orang dan sekarang jadi "pesakitannya" hehehhee).

Actually, during my break-relax time, I went for mmm.. 6 interviews; 1 on skype and the rest were face to face. Some important notes were taken and lessons have also being learned. What I wanna share here less than what the expert says; but these based on my own experiences.

Important Notes
1.    Knowledge
It is not about your IQ etc, but more on your knowledge of the company or organization of interviewer. What fields they are working on, where in this world their work is being carried out, vision and mission, achievements; also read some of their reports. Sometimes, it’s just silly questions like when you are in elementary school and should remember when Diponegoro War happened (1825-1830! Still have it in my memory! :D). You should understand all things relate to the owner; you could easily find it in the website.

2.   Punctual
Time is crucial. For me, better to wait for 1 hour then late for 5 seconds. It shows your commitment and professionalism. Btw, in contrary, I also expect that the interviewer to be punctual too, though (pengalaman si, kalo ama lokal, suka telat yak hehehhee-no offense).

3.   Outfit
To be safe, just wear semi-formal clothes. Jeans is BIG NO NO for sure. Wear shirt, simple jewelry (you may wear scarf too), natural make up (these for girls only hehehee) and shoes. Nice and clean. The key is: don’t overdo.

4.   Relax
Relax its one key action that should be maintained all the time. Deg-degan pastilah ya, cuman mesti diatur. The secret is: don’t think about it too much. While waiting the interviewer calls you, just think about your favorite things or something interesting for instance your date last nite or tonite, mikirin jalan2 ke Eropa, ato keliling Indonesia, punya kucing ato anjing. Anything that will take your mind away from that scary place :)

5.    Smile
Last but not least, smile will spread the positive energy in to the room; bisa ngebuat kamu and interview lebih santai. Smile is also one of your tools to engage with the panel. Give yourself 2 seconds after they give you the question; smile and then answer it without any doubt.

Lessons Learned
1.    Don’t Ask too Many Questions
I did and I totally blew it! Hahhhaaa.. In my defense, I will say I ask just to have a clear picture on what I am gonna do. I ask questions, not questioning their standard btw; but lately I realize things I asked might made them feel uncomfortable. Even a good friend of mine said “You’re supposed to be the one who is being interviewed but in contrary feels like you interview them!” (I was told her detail of today interview).

2.   Understand the structure in the organization/company and where your exact position among other staff member.
You might be one of senior staff in your division, but it depends on how big the company/ organization is; you might find that the position is actually considered to be a medium one in the hierarchy. Although I am not a fan of it, we need to have certain understanding in this particular area; apalagi kalo biasa jadi orang nomer 2 di small organization (international one) which allowed you to share your ideas or disagreement directly to your supervisor (who remain the top person in the organization) and in the new position you applied for you will report to the head of department which is positioned in medium level in the company/organization - lokal jarang yang bisa dikritik anak buah juga, jadi mesti bisa cepet observe yang interview kita modelnya gimana; strong one ato yang serba sungkanan hehehehe (again, no offense). 

3.   Understand the culture of the organization/company
Indeed, I find it a bit difficult to determine this part. How you are possibly know about the culture of organization or company that you just knew for one minute?? From my experience, you might observe the way interviewer talk or communicate each other, their body language and appearance. Use your intuition. I failed to do it, btw. The explanation will be shared together with the last point below.

4.   Be yourself
Nah.. honestly speaking, this part is a bit contradictive in my case. I always present myself as the real Dewindra, I have nothing to hide. Sometimes, for some people, the confidence I have and the way I enjoy myself considered as “too much” for their working culture. Feedback from one interview I attended earlier this year said “Dewindra is great on program design, implementation, M&E, networking. But she is too straight forward” (!!!!) Then, the lesson I have learned from this interview: I will continue bringing my confidence (reduce it just a bit) and not enjoying myself that much-it should be well managed! :)
When it still doesn’t work then I should say: it’s your bad, not mine :p

Anyway, it just a sharing. As I mentioned earlier, I blew all those interviews; God knows what did happened. Hahhahaa..
At the end, no such thing as the best candidate; is about one suit the most for the position as well as to the organization/company working culture. As simple as that :)

Dili, November 3rd, 2012
Sitting lazily on my cozy chair..



No comments:

Post a Comment